Friday, October 20, 2017

Planetary Curtains

Jenny here :) ... I used to sew with my Grandma when I was little, I don't remember too much... lots of ironing and measuring, pins all over the place, fabric scraps, etc. I've always wanted to learn how to sew like she did. We were very close. She always had health problems, but took everything in stride and was a very loving, smart, and optimistic woman. Despite her health problems, she passed very abruptly and unexpectedly in 2003. She was the only one I knew who could sew.

My MIL knew I wanted to learn to sew someday and actually bought me a sewing machine for Christmas about seven years ago and it's lovingly been collecting dust, waiting for me to use it.

I met Carrie when our daughters attended the same preschool, but last year we discovered we are kindred spirits and now like to hang out on a weekly basis. One of the first times we hung out she brought over all this sewing stuff she was working on and I was immediately drawn in! "TEACH ME", I said!

She first taught me how to cross-stitch, then she taught me how to use my sewing machine!!! The first thing I sewed was a W-heat Sack, which I will talk about in another post sometime. Then a curtain for my future art studio. Then it was a group effort on a scrub top (another coming post). After completing the scrub top, I realized how incredibly simple making curtains is!!!!

My middle child Sydney is obsessed with planets. Especially Jupiter! She has a lot of space stuff in her room so now that I know how to sew, I thought it only appropriate to make her some planetary themed curtains! Here are the steps I took...

1.) First I measured the window to figure out what size I wanted the curtains to be.

2.) Next I planned how I would make the curtains and determined what my seam allowance would be on all sides to get my final measurements.

3.) Once I got all my measurements, I went and purchased the fabric I wanted.

4.) Next I cut my fabric to the precise size needed for each curtain panel.

*The following steps are the same for each panel

5.) For the side and bottom hems I pinned then pressed the fabric in 1/2 inch.
(I did the side of the panels first.)


6.) Then I pinned and pressed it in another 1/2 inch.


7.) Next I sewed along the inside edge of that seam


8.) For the top, I pinned and pressed the fabric in 1/2 inch like I did to the other sides, but then for the next step I pinned and pressed the fabric down 4 inches. And then sewed along the inside seam.



9.) To give the top of the curtains a little decorative ruffle, I sewed in 1 inch along the whole top of the panel.


And here is the finished product. I might make two more panels of the same fabric or a matching solid color fabric to add in, but for now I think it looks pretty darn good :)


Stay tuned for my future posts on Scrub Tops, W-heat Sacks, and Refinishing furniture :)



1 comment: